Drug / Narcotics Charges
Large numbers of visitors and residents in Texas are arrested every year for alleged illegal drug crimes. Prosecutors in Denton County often seek harsh punishments for the people accused of criminal offenses involving controlled substances.
Even if an alleged drug or narcotic crime is an individual’s first criminal offense, the possible penalties can still be severe in certain cases. It is extremely important for all alleged offenders facing criminal charges relating to a controlled substance to understand whether their rights were violated during an arrest, as illegal searches or seizures could lead to evidence being inadmissible in court.
Attorney for Drug / Narcotics Charges in Denton, TX
If you were arrested anywhere in Denton County for an alleged drug crime, it is in your best interest to make sure that you have legal representation before you make any kind of statement to authorities. Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy aggressively defends clients all over Denton County, including Lewisville, Little Elm, The Colony, Argyle, Flower Mound, Highland Village, and several other nearby communities.
Denton criminal defense lawyers Richard McConathy and Brian Bolton can fight to help you achieve the most favorable outcome to your case, including possibly having the criminal charged reduced or dismissed. Call 940-222-8004 to have our attorneys review your case and answer all of your legal questions during a free initial consultation.
Overview of Drug / Narcotics Charges in Denton County
- What are the different Penalty Groups that controlled substances are divided into?
- Which types of criminal charges can people face if accused of controlled substance crimes?
- Where can I find more information about drug and narcotics crimes in Denton County?
Drug Penalty Groups in Texas
The severity of an alleged controlled substance crime often depends on the specific Penalty Group that an illegal drug has been classified under. Chapter 481 of the Texas Health and Safety Code is more commonly referred to as the Texas Controlled Substance Act, and it divides illegal drugs into six different Penalty Groups.
The Penalty Groups established under state law in Texas are largely similar to the schedules established under the federal Controlled Substances Act. Some of the notable controlled substances for Penalty Groups in Texas include:
- Penalty Group 1, Texas Health and Safety Code § 481.102 —Cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, gamma hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), and oxycodone;
- Penalty Group 1-A, Texas Health and Safety Code § 481.1021 — Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD);
- Penalty Group 2, Texas Health and Safety Code § 481.103 — 3,4-methylenedioxy methamphetamine (MDMA, Ecstasy, or Molly), and phencyclidine (PCP);
- Penalty Group 2-A, Texas Health and Safety Code § 481.1031 — Materials, compounds, mixtures, or preparations that contains any quantity of a natural or synthetic chemical substance;
- Penalty Group 3, Texas Health and Safety Code § 481.104 — Alprazolam (Xanax), methylphenidate (Ritalin), diazepam (Valium), and zolpidem (Ambien).
- Penalty Group 4, Texas Health and Safety Code § 481.105 — Compounds, mixtures, or preparations containing limited quantities of narcotics.
Types of Drug / Narcotics Charges in Denton County
Alleged offenders in Texas can be charged with any one of a number of different controlled substance offenses. In certain cases, the amount of an illegal drug that was allegedly involved and certain kinds of circumstantial evidence can lead to more serious criminal charges.
Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy handles a wide variety of different alleged drug crimes, including:
- Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Drug Trafficking
- Drug Manufacturing
- Prescription Drug Fraud
- MDMA / Ecstasy Arrests
- Cocaine Charges
- Heroin Charges
Texas Resources for Drug / Narcotics Charges
Criminal Investigation Division | Denton County, Texas — The Criminal Investigation Division of the Denton County Sheriff’s Office includes Criminal Investigation, Narcotics, and Forensics, and its Drug Enforcement Unit worked with other agencies to seize nearly $2 million worth of drugs in 2006. View recent press releases and learn more about other agencies on this website. You can also search jail records, find information about the detention bureau, and view a list of the sheriff’s responsibilities.
Denton County Sheriff’s Office
127 N. Woodrow Lane
Denton, TX 76205
Narcotics Anonymous (NA) — NA is a global, community-based organization that describes itself as “a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem.” On this website, you can find information about NA, download various literature, and find meetings in your area. You can also access different periodicals and learn about upcoming events.
Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy | Denton Drug / Narcotics Charges Defense Lawyer
Were you arrested for any kind of alleged drug crime in the greater Denton County area? You should exercise you right to remain silent until you have legal counsel. Contact Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy as soon as you can.
Richard McConathy and Brian Bolton are experienced criminal defense attorneys in Denton who represent individuals in Highland Village, Flower Mound, Argyle, The Colony, Little Elm, Lewisville, and many other surrounding areas of Denton County. You can have them provide an honest and thorough evaluation of your case when you call 940-222-8004 or complete an online contact form to schedule a free, confidential consultation.